Credit requests must be submitted within thirty days of the customer's order date. Pet Assistant reserves the right to audit all credit requests and investigate any issues before applying a credit to your account.
Zycortal Suspension (Desoxycorticosterone Pivalate) is sold as an injectable treatment. It is used as a replacement therapy for deficiency of mineralocorticoid in dogs with Addison's disease (primary hypoadrenocorticism).
What is Zycortal Suspension 25 mg/ml, 4 ml Vial?
It is an injectable for use as replacement therapy for mineralocorticoid deficiency in dogs with primary hypoadrenocorticism (Addison’s Disease).
Who is Zycortal Suspension 25 mg/ml, 4 ml Vial for?
For use in dogs.
Why use Zycortal Suspension 25 mg/ml, 4 ml Vial?
Zycortal Suspension (Desoxycorticosterone Pivalate) is used in the treatment of Addison's disease (hypoadrenocorticism).
How does Zycortal Suspension 25 mg/ml, 4 ml Vial work?
Features of Zycortal:
- It is a corticosteroid with primarily mineralocorticoid activity, which is similar to aldosterone.
- It causes chloride iron and sodium retention in the kidneys and causes excretion of potassium and hydrogen ion, which creates a water absorbtion-promoting osmotic gradient in the renal tubules. This increases the volume of extracellular fluid, which leads to an increase of cardiac output, an improvement in venous return to the heart, and expansion of blood volume.
How is Zycortal Suspension 25 mg/ml, 4 ml Vial sold?
25 mg/ml, 4 ml vial
What are the side effects of Zycortal Suspension 25 mg/ml, 4 ml Vial?
Zycortal is proven to be well-tolerated with infrequent reports of adverse reaction. However, in a small percentage of dogs, the following side effects could present:
- Reactions at the injection site, such as abscesses or pain
- Changes in coat or skin
- Digestive changes
- Excessive urination or thirst
- Cardiac enlargement
- Edema (swelling)
- Increase in blood volume
Some of these reactions could be resolved with interval or dosage adjustments or with administration of concomitant glucocorticoid.
What special precautions are there?
- Safety of Zycortal has not been proven in treating puppies under 6 months old or lactating, pregnant, or breeding dogs.
- Fluid retention caused by sodium retention can cause excessive weight gain.
- Exercise caution when administering to dogs with primary hepatic failure, severe renal disease, edema, or congestive heart disease.
- Zycortal effectiveness may be affected if potassium-sparing diuretics (like spironolactone) are administered concurrently.
- Avoid injecting intravenously. This may have cause an adverse reaction.
- Dogs with inadequate tissue perfusion (Addisonian crisis), prerenal azotemia, dehydration, or severe hypovolemia (blood volume depletion) should be rehydrated using intravenous fluid therapy (saline) prior to starting Zycortal treatment.
- Do not administer to dogs with prior hypersensitivity to desoxycorticosterone pivalate.
What to do if overdose?
Contact your closest emergency pet hospital
How can I store Zycortal Suspension 25 mg/ml, 4 ml Vial?
Do not freeze. Store between 15-30°C.
After first puncture, use within 120 days.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.