Dormosedan® is a synthetic and non-narcotic alpha-2 adrenoreceptor antagonist that uses detomidine hydrochloride as an equine analgesic and sedative.
Who is DORMOSEDAN for?
For use in horses.
Why use DORMOSEDAN?
Dormosedan® is safe for use in many minor diagnostic and surgical procedures.
How does DORMOSEDAN work?
This medication works as an analgesic and sedative to aid in minor diagnostic and surgical procedures.
How is DORMOSEDAN sold?
Sold by prescription only in 5 ml, 20ml injectable, and 3ml gel.
What are the side effects of DORMOSEDAN?
- Because horses continually lower their heads when sedated, edema of the face or head and mucus discharge from the nose may occur. Hold the head in a slightly elevated position to prevent this.
- Staggering or incoordination may be seen for 3 to 5 minutes after injection until the animal secures their footing.
- Approximately 45 to 60 minutes after treatment, urination usually occurs while the horse is recovering (dependent on dosage).
- Hypertension is seen in animals treated with this medication.
- Bradycardia is normal about one minute post-injection.
- Post-administration, minor muscle tremors, salivation, sweating, and piloerection are often noted.
- Partial short-term prolapse of the penis could occur.
- Partial SA and AV blocks can occur with a decrease in respiratory and heart rate.
What special precautions are there?
- Keep away from children.
- Not for use in humans.
- Do not use in any horse intended for slaughter for human food.
What to do if overdose?
Contact your closest emergency pet hospital.
How can I store DORMOSEDAN?
Store at room temperature between 15°-30°C (59°-86°F) in the absence of light.